Poison Ivy Toxicodendron radicans is from the Anacardiacea family. It is also known as Rhus radicans or Rhus toxicodendron Toxicodendron which is from the Latin toxicum, ‘poison’, and the Greek dendron, ‘tree’ It is a poison tree, indeed!
Poison Ivy is said to be coined by Captain John Smith in 1609 when visiting America, and the plant was taken back to England as an ornamental plant.
The chemical component in poison oak, poison ivy is a sap called Urushiol (you-ROO-shee-all) which derives from urushi, Japanese name for lacquer.
Urushiol oil to stay active on any surface including dead plants for 1-5 years.
The reaction usually develops 12 to 48 hours after exposure and lasts two to three weeks.
Although direct contact is needed to release the oil; you may still develop a rash when the plant is burned, as causes the oil to become airborne.
As we spend more time enjoying the outdoors, here is an informative graphic to help identity the plant, and keep you and your family safe.